Address: 9 Lincoln St., P.O.B. 20128, Tel Aviv 61201
Tel: 972-3-6230555, 482727
Toll-Free Tel: 1-800-250-270
Chairman of the Board
Education: B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Technion, Haifa (79).
Current Positions: Chairman of the Board, Mekorot Water Corporation Company Ltd.; Chairman, Committee of
Five – Managing the Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai Site in Mount Meron.
Past Positions: CEO, The Administration for the Development of Sewage Infrastructures, Ministry of National Infrastructures (02); General Manager, Public Works Department –Support Unit, Ministry of Transportation (03); General Manager, Israel National Roads Company Ltd (10). In this position, he led the reform process that resulted in the inception of the Israel National Roads Co. Ltd. and the company received an unprecedented multi-year budget of about $5.63 billion. In the new company he introduced progressive work methods, whereby every project in the companies in which he serves and has served is examined on meeting deadlines, staying on budget and maintaining high levels of quality. He leads Mekorot's consortium in developing and promoting sources of water in Israel and the advancement of projects in Israel and worldwide.
Shimon Ben Hamo
Education: Second Degree, Business and Economics, Major in Macro Economics and Finance, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; First Degree, Economics,the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Current Positions: CEO, Mekorot Israel's National Water Corporation Company; Chairman of the Board, EMS Mekrorot Projects.
Past Positions: Activity Manager, Africa Israel in Bulgaria (08-11); Activity Manager, Africa Israel for southeast Europe (10-11); Activity Manager, Africa Israel in Germany (09-10); Manager (in practice), Government Companies Authority (Israel) - the Office of Finance (07); Deputy Manager, the Government Companies Authority (00-07); Senior Economist, the Government Companies Authority (92-00).
Line of Business:
Water Corporation Supply and Development of Advanced Water Corporation Solutions to Cope With the Lack of Water Corporation in Israel and the World
ater should not be taken for granted. We make it happen. Mekorot, Israel’s National Water Corporation Company, is a unique company that supplies water and provides solutions for Israel’s water industry. Mekorot operates under the Ministry of National Infrastructures and the Governmental Authority for Water Corporation and Sewage.
Mekorot is the only company in Israel to be credited with the AAA rating by Maalot S&P for over 9 years in a row. The company’s annual income is about $1.08 billion, its equity is about $1.58 billion (including a company in formation) and annual balance sheet (consolidated report) of about $4.12 billion.
World-Leading Unique Solutions
Mekorot’s unique status derives from its wide variety of operations:
• Water Corporation Supply: Mekorot supplies about 80% of Israel’s drinking water and 70% of consumption and has about 3,000 facilities, 10,500 km of pipeline, 600 tanks and 100 reservoirs. Nine automatic remote control centers provide a reliable and high-quality supply of water. Mekorot supplies about 1.5 billion cubic meters of water for agricultural, industrial and home use, and to the Palestinian Authority and Jordan, in accordance with agreements. Mekorot’s water supply system integrates most of the regional water plants, the National Water Corporation Carrier and the Yarkon Negev plant. The system combines water from: the Sea of Galilee, Mountain and Coastal Aquifers, drilling and desalinated sea and brackish water.
Mekorot is currently building Israel’s largest water system since the National Water Corporation Carrier, costing over $1.35 billion. The current system supplies water from the Sea of Galilee to the center and south. The new system will flow in all directions. Most drinking water will come from desalination plants on the Mediterranean coast and flow to the east and south.
Another major project of Mekorot for the coming years is the 5th Water Corporation Supply System to Jerusalem, built at an estimated cost of $657,894,736.
• Developing, Producing and Integrating Water Corporation from multiple sources in the national system.
• Treatment of sweet water, brackish water, seawater, domestic and industrial effluents.
• Ever Improving Water Corporation Quality through the implementation of advanced and innovative water purification technologies and performing water quality tests in highly advanced and modern laboratories. The Central Filtration Plant, which was built at a cost of about $155 million, is the fourth largest worldwide!
• Water Corporation Production through:
- Wastewater Treatment of about 35% of Israel’s treated wastewater, and reclamation of about 55% of the water effluent reclaimed for agriculture.
- Desalination of Brackish and Sea Water Corporation at 31 facilities.
- Flow Catchment
- Rain Enhancement averaging 15% in the north.
• Water Corporation Security
Mekorot protects the environment through developing green methods; identifying green technologies and using environmentally friendly materials and chemicals; wastewater treatment and reclamation for agricultural use; expansion of green energy at company facilities, warning about environmental damage, nurturing the environment and rehabilitating the landscape.
World-Class Innovative Technologies
Mekorot places a high value on advancing and implementing innovative technology. The company established WaTech®, a center for entrepreneurship and cooperation that provides a platform for cooperation between Mekorot and start-ups, entrepreneurs, academics and investors in Israel and abroad.
Mekorot has become a group of companies. The parent company, Mekorot Water Corporation Company, is involved in supplying water, wastewater treatment and recycling, desalination and other water related activities.
Two companies operate as subsidiaries:
EMS Mekorot Projects leads in planning and implementing elecro-mechanical systems for water and sewage treatment, infrastructure work and civil engineering at pumping stations and wastewater treatment plants, laying pipes of different diameters, drilling, building and rehabilitating reservoirs, treatment and filtering systems, desalination plants and rain enhancement.
Mekorot Development and Enterprise initiates and promotes water projects in Israel and worldwide. The company provides consultancy services, planning, feasibility studies, project management, construction, operation and management of installations, installing technologies for operational efficiency, managing and operating treatment plants, municipal water systems, water security and more. The company’s flagship project is the planning, construction and operation of the Ashdod desalination plant, which will produce 100 million cubic meters annually – the largest of its kind in the world.